If you are on a budget or your lawn is medium-sized, it would be prudent to have a lawn mower that is fit for the work- not just cheap with poor quality. You would want to have a walk-behind push type that can be used around your lawn. Whatever the brand or types, try to strike a balance between your preference and quality.
Nothing is satisfying to a homeowner like a well-kept and perfectly furnished green lawn that shouts its beauty to any visitor. You would do anything possible to have one and the first step to own a perfect lawn mower.
Many homeowners have ideas about the things that the best lawn mower has. Nevertheless, with so many alternatives available in the market besides the extensive range of types like push-reel or gas-driven lawnmowers, the whole task of finding the best that would serve them best becomes complex.
It is for this reason that we have labored on your behalf to find the most stylish, dependable, and trusted kinds of lawn mowers under 300. Our best lawn mowers under 300 dollars are selected based on the best prices, durability, ease of use, and maintenance. It captures your interest in budget and quality.
List of Best Budget Lawn Mower:
- GreenWorks 25022 Electric Corded Lawn Mower
- Sun Joe Mj401E-PRO 14-inch
- Lawn-Boy 17732 21-inch
- GreenWorks G-MAX 25322 40V 16-inch
- Craftsman M105 140CC
- BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM
- Sun Joe MJ401C 14-Inch
Comparison Table of Best Lawn Mower Under 300
Expert Choice: GreenWorks 25022
- Best for small & mid yard.
- 3 in 1 (Cutting-Mulching-Bagging)
- Plug and play.
- Long time warranty
Budget Friendly: Sun Joe Mj401E-PRO
- Best performance in tight lawn.
- Enough light weight.
- Easy removable rear bag.
- Excellent cutting with long grass.
Best Quality: Lawn-Boy 17732
- Suitable for hilly terrain.
- Self Propelled mower.
- Large bag capacity.
- Heavy weight mower.
Our Top 7 Best Lawn Mower Under 300 Dollars
- Durable 20-inch steel deck
- Powerful 12 Amp Motor
- 3-In-1 (Mulching, Side Discharge, and Rear Bag)
- 7-position single lever height adjustment
- Push button start. Drive system: Manual
- Foldable handles for compact storage
- 10-inch rear / 7-inch front wheels
- 4-year tool warranty protects your investment
- Extension cord not included
This 3-in-1 GreenWorks machine prides itself on the highest sales it attracts and that is one of the reasons it tops our list since this is a direct message of impression from the consumer. It is an electric lawn mower that is adaptable and it is designed with durability and efficiency in mind.
It features a steel deck that measures 20-inches. The 3-in-1 equipment is run by a 12 Amp engine and can be used for mulching, side discharge, and as a rear pocket.
The best features of this corded lawn mower won’t be complete without mentioning its seven adjustment heights as it provides the deck adaptation from 1/2 to 3-3/4 inches. That means you can cut grass of any kind with efficiency.
If you are used to lawn mowers, you’ll agree with me that mobility is a key factor when mowing. Luckily, this GreenWorks model considers this. While the front wheels measure 7 inches, the rear ones measure 10 inches. That means a lawn mower; you can simply roll it over the lawn enhancing its mobility regardless of the cord attached.
Besides its size that is fit for medium to small-sized lawns, it also comes with a rear bag that will help you to store grass from its side discharging. This gives you a neat lawn free from wastes after your work. Some experts say this is the best lawn mower under 300.
Ø It comes with a push-button start peculiarity.
Ø It has a large cutting surface area resulting from its 20-inch cutting diameter.
Ø It has 7 varying cutting adjustment options.
Ø It is a 3-in-1 machine.
Ø It comes with a 4-year warranty plan.
- It has a foldable handle that minimizes its storage space.
- It is not as noisy as other models, therefore; it is usable even in residential areas of places where noise is not encouraged.
- It doesn’t come packed with the extension cord.
- POWERFUL: 13-amp motor cuts a 14-inch wide path
- Adjustable deck: tailor cutting Height with 3-position Height control
- STEEL BLADES: Durable 14-Inch steel blade cuts with precision
- Accessories: includes 10. 6-Gal bag and discharge Chute
- Pro version: comes with rear discharge Chute (MJ401E-DCA)
- Power Source Type: Corded-Electric
If your lawn has fixed pending or corners, this lawn mower will serve you. This is a small-sized machine that yields sufficient power that is comparable to that of non-electric models. Its 14-inch metallic plates are durable and can work on an extensive surface area giving the quality you need.
On its top part is a 3-role guide meant for adjustment. For grass disposal, Mow Joe comes with a strong top rear series bag that is detachable for the appropriate disposal of wastes.
Another additional essential feature is the protection of the discharge chute, perfect for handling taller grass. These convenient outflow grass clippings safely without obstructing the mower deck.
Even with its small size, Mow Joe is powered by the 13 Amp motor- something that is only expected with mowers having a bigger deck. To say the least, expect much from this mower particularly in terms of its power. You only need to ensure you have a bigger extension.
With the fact that you will need to have more passes, Mow Joe will create a decorative pattern that would otherwise be less catchy with a bigger mower. You only need to be careful not to break the patterns with irregular cuts while creating the passes. Otherwise, this mower will yield a perfectly furnished yard.
If there’s anything you need to partially forego is the height adjustment option. Mow Joe Mj401e isn’t like the GreenWorks 25022 Electric Corded Lawn Mower that comes with at least seven adjustment points.
Rather, this mower only consists of three basic adjustment points that are low, medium, and high. Although this is the case, the low and the higher adjustments are set to the appropriate levels and leave nothing untouched.
- Easy to manage.
- It has a sturdy 13 Amp motor.
- Dense and lightweight configurations.
- Only comes with 3 adjustment points.
- Need to be operated with care while the lower adjustment is used because it may scour the ground.
- Rear Wheel Drive System provides a better traction and control on hilly terrain
- 2-Point Height-of-Cut System allows you to quickly adjust cutting heights from one side of the mower. Height of Cut- 6 Position 1.25 – 3.75 inches. Cutting Width- 21 inch
- 3 year Tru-Start Commitment - starts with 1 or 2 pulls or Lawn-Boy will fix it for free
- Kohler 149cc/ 6.5 ft.-lbs. Gross Torque/ OHV Engine
- CARB Compliant for the state of California
Lawn-Boy 17732 is an ideal lawn mower for people interested in a self-driving lawn mower that is below $300. The power that this machine manifests can be attributed to its CARB compliant Kohler XT6 OHV engine.
The rear-wheel-drive mechanism technology makes it a superb gas mower for working even on a hilly lawn that requires traction and a bit of control.
Since the Lawnmower is self-propelled, its weight that is 66 pounds becomes petty; therefore, as a buyer, you shouldn’t worry so much about it. We are sure it won’t disappoint you.
To guarantee you it’s quality and better service, Lawn-Boy 17732 is back up with an amazing 1 or 2 pull start 3-year guarantees. That means should it fail to start in 1 or 2 pulls, the manufacturer will repair it for you without any additional charges. Further, the manufacturer is offering a free repair should it develop some problems within 2 years of purchase.
Lawn-Boy is a well-established brand regarding lawn mowers. It has built its trust through affordable products and top-notch quality. Indeed, the company’s long existence (100 years) in the field gave them the experience we all need. You can be certain that through the long-term experience, customer experience has been essential.
Ø It has a 21-inch blade
Ø It is a self-propelled lawn mower with an adjustable grip.
Ø It comes with a Kohler XT6 OHV engine for greater power
Ø It has a 3-year guarantee
- It is a 3-in-1 lawnmower.
- It comes with a powerful engine for the price.
- The 21-inch blade is impressive.
- Comfortable Grip.
- It lacks a side discharge accessory.
- Up to 45 minutes of runtime on a fully charged 4.0 Ah Battery
- Lightweight 16" cutting deck allows you to maneuver through small to medium size yards more efficiently
- Ideal for yards up to 1/2 acre
- Single lever 5-position height adjustment offers cutting height range , Max Cutting Height:3-⅜ Inch and Min Cutting Height:1-¼ Inch, Powerful Electric Motor
- 4.0 Ah battery charges in 120 Minutes
- Easy push button start. No Gas, No Oil, No Emissions.
- 2-in-1 feature offers versatile use with mulching and rear bagging capabilities
- Single lever 5-position height adjustment for the best cut in all environments
- 3 year Tool, 3 year Battery warranty
- Includes: Mower, Grass Collection Bag, 40V 4.0 Ah Battery, Charger, Operator's Manual
The GreenWorks G-MAX 40V inch lawn mower is a cordless model of the GreenWorks brand. This means it doesn’t have an extension for power supply rather, it has a rechargeable battery. That tells you as long as the battery is charged with the battery indicator; GreenWorks G-MAX 25322 will be flexible.
The back end serves an important function- dealing with mulching. That is a key feature that makes it ideal for varied sizes of garden and yard. Besides its flexibility owing to its lightweight, the lawnmower also has different range aptitudes to trim any type of grass as short or as long as you need.
If you wished to have a lawnmower that operates with minimal noise then you’ve got the right option. The GreenWorks G-MAX 25322 operates silently due to its battery thus; you can comfortably use it where noise is deemed unnecessary.
This model boasts of a high-speed operation yet impressive outcome. It can easily be started with its well-fitted button making it efficient. The GreenWorks features won’t be complete without noting that it is environmentally friendly as it has no dizzying gas fumes.
Ø It has a 16-inch cutting deck
Ø It has 7-inch and 6-inch rear and front-wheel respectively
Ø It comes with a 5-position height adjustment that is controlled by a single lever.
- The price is fair compared to its performance.
- It is not noisy.
- It saves on storage space.
- Dual for mulching.
- It lacks a battery management circuit.
- The battery has to be fully charged to work in a large area without interruption.
- 140CC OHV GAS POWERED ENGINE: Engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start!
- 3-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities.
- 21-INCH CUTTING DECK: Efficient cutting deck helps trim grass in one quick pass for an easier yard job.
- DUAL-LEVER ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEIGHT: Choose from 6 different height settings to suit user’s needs.
- DURABLE WHEELS: Zag Treaded tires measure 7 inches in the front and 8 inches in the back.
- ATTACHED BAGGER INCLUDED: Bagger included with purchase to catch grass clippings you’re your convenience.
Craftsman M105 21-inch lawn mower is one of the best gas lawn mower under 300 thanks to its high performance and reliability.
First, Craftsman M105 is backed up by its strong 1400CC motor that gives a powerful force to handle any size of grass with ease and in the shortest time possible. If you are not a new user of a lawn mower then you must be a where of the irritating chokes and primer that occurs with some machines.
With the auto-choke and recoiling features in this yard machine, the chokes and primer problem becomes a thing of the past. Additionally, the Craftsman M105 is a 3-in-1 gas powered mower meaning it comes with the rear and side discharge that facilitates easy mulching.
The 21-inch grass cutting deck is the strength of this gas mower as it trims the grass with ease making your lawn management enjoyable. If you wish to trim your lawn with varied heights, you simply need to adjust the mower as it comes with six height adjustments.
The 8-inches and 7-inches tires in the back and front respectively make everything smooth when it comes to mobility. In case you are worried about the durability of the lawnmower, that should be a thing to forget about as this comes with a zag traded design that can be used even on steep lawns
With the loop handle, Craftsman M105 21-inch lawnmower offers its users sufficient flexibility at work that guarantees them an ample feel.
Ø It has six height adjustment points
Ø The front and back tires measure 7-inches and 8-inches respectively
Ø It is powered by a 1400CC motor
Ø The engine has an auto-choke and recoiling features
- It is a 3-in-1 lawnmower.
- It has durable wheels for steep yards.
- It comes with six adjustment heights.
- The gas tank big enough for big tasks.
- Easy to assemble.
- Sometimes, starting the engine after a push on the morning wet grass is tedious with this mower.
- 3-in-1 ELECTRIC LAWN MOWER: Corded mower, trimmer and edger combined in 1 compact machine
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN: 9.9 lbs with adjustable handle and height positions for comfort and control
- AUTOMATIC FEED SPOOL: Feed more cable without stopping or bumping.
- COMPACT MOWING: Built for smaller yards with a 12-inch cutting width and 1.6 inch cutting height
- UNLIMITED RUNTIME: Gasless corded power with built-in cord retention system to prevent accidental disconnection. Extension cord not included.
Black+decker 12CM electric lawn mower is a machine that gives an ergonomic design for convenience and easy maneuverability under mowing your lawn. One of the good things to note about this lawn mower is the height adjustments that offer an easy change and better control of the mower while working on rugged terrains and would be the easiest lawn mower for a woman.
While electric lawn mowers have some advantages over nonelectric ones in terms of power, they also have the upper hand as their maintenance costs are lower than those using gas engines.
The mower can easily be converted from a mower to a trimmer making a 3-in-1 tool. With its 6.5 amp motor and the power drive gear, the Black+decker electric lawn mower can offer an appealing performance while trimming even the most troublesome grass, weeds, and some overgrowth.
The Automatic Feed Spool allows you to keep working continuously without necessarily stopping to set the Spool. From its lightweight modification to the adjustable handle as well as the height positions, you will get nearly everything that is required for a comfortable and controllable lawnmower.
Ø It has an Automatic feed Spool.
Ø It is fitted with a 6.5 amp motor
Ø It is a 3-in-1 lawnmower.
Ø Has an adjustable hand and cutting heights.
- It has a cord retention system to prevent unwanted cord disconnection.
- It is lightweight and usable.
- Easy and effective to use for small yards.
- It does not include the extension cord.
- It can be a bit exhausting for big yards.
- POWERFUL: Perfect for small to medium lawns, battery-powered mower's durable steel blade cuts a crisp 14" wide path with precision in a single pass
- PERFORMANCE: The 28 V 4 Ah rechargeable lithium-ion battery for up to a quarter acre of continuous mowing per charge
- ADJUSTABLE DECK: Tailor cutting height with 3-position manual height adjustment
- ACCESSORIES: Detachable 10. 6-gal (40 l) grass catcher for easy disposal
For a cordless lawn mower lover that can suit mid-sized lawn maintenance, here is the best for a budget under 300. This is a mower that you would want to have safety and adaptability in mind as it comes with a removable safety key hallmark.
With a simple push-button, the mower can be started and used by a newbie without using the manual. From its weight and the space it requires for storage, the mower appears to be made for small to medium-sized yards.
It is fitted with a 600-watt motor that guarantees you the power to mow with minimum stress. You can get a neat and appealing lawn without getting exhausted by this cordless mower.
Ø The cutting deck comes with three different adaptable heights.
Ø It features a 14-inch cutting width.
Ø It is powered by a 28-volt battery (rechargeable)
Ø It has a detachable grass catcher (10.6 gallons) for effortless dumping of grass clippings
Ø The lawnmower can work on up to a quarter of an acre when the battery is fully charged.
- The size and weight are impressive yet can be used for small to medium-sized yards without a bustle.
- It is easy to operate.
- It isn’t noisy.
- Not for large yards.
- The grass catcher requires emptying regularly.
Things To Consider Before Buying A Best Lawn Mower Under $300
Knowing the nature of your yard is paramount since lawn mowers will vary. For a flat and small yard, a battery or manual-operated lawn mower will be the best. This is because you save space for storage and they are economical.
However, if your lawn is characterized by rough terrain then you need a stronger machine that gives more power. Again, if your lawn is hilly and uneven terrain with some obstacles here and there, a push mower won’t be perfect for the job and you should think of buying a self-propelled one.
Why would that matter? Steering around some obstacles while mowing will need a sharp turning radius that can best be achieved by a self-propelled lawn mower.
Your lawn mower size has to be factored in while making a purchase decision. If you have a large flat lawn, a battery-operated mower won’t be a good option.
Additionally, for a garden that you apply mulch for, a larger dual unit that will cut and mulch would be ideal. For those with small yards, the good news is, you can save your cash by purchasing a battery-operated lawn mower for under 300 dollars.
Unlike any other garden tools, lawn mowers take relatively large space. Thus, as much as you are thinking of their quality, also try to consider space taken in your store. Preferably, purchase manual push or battery-operated lawn mowers if you have limited space.
However, if you must have other types of lawn mowers then the gas-powered sort would be ideal as it will be suitable for your storage.
There are two sources of power for a lawn mower: electricity and gas. Although the latter is more powerful and durable, the storage and maintenance costs are demanding. If you don’t mind spending a little bit more on maintenance storage then this is for you.
Otherwise, a battery-operated battery will be effective for people with contrary preferences. Again, the manual push will serve the purpose where frequent maintenance is an issue.
Gas vs. electric lawn mowers
There a notion that gas lawn mowers are the best but on the other hand, environmentalists insist that electric lawn mowers are the way to go. The reality is, there are preferences. Nevertheless, the advantages and disadvantages of each are as follows:
i. Gas Lawn Mowers
- Good for large yards where the long cord is necessary.
- Durable their counterparts.
- Offer power for hilly yards or tough weeds.
- High maintenance cost.
- Can be difficult to start.
ii. Electric Lawn Mowers
- They are environmentally friendly.
- They offer a quieter operation.
- Lightweight and compact than gas mowers.
- Huge power demands.
- Not best for thicker grass species.
Speed of mower
This will depend on how faster you want your mower to be. There are all-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, push mowers, and wholly manual mowers.
If you are confident that you can do the work faster without the risk of getting injured then you can go for a lawn mower with more drive power. For some physical exercise, a self-driving push or manual mower is preferable.
Lawn mowers have different cutting heights that you can adjust to depending on the depth you wish to trim the grass. Always go for a lawn mower with more height settings to give you room for adjustments. Furthermore, examine the deck breadth if you need to reach more areas in a shorter time.
It’s good to ensure that the option of the mower can be easily adjustable. Note that some are difficult to adjust and require you to get rid of spacers below the cutting blade. Normally, the easier and the most suitable types are those with the provision of pulling the lever while changing the height.
On the other hand, some lawn mowers will need you to adjust the elevation of each wheel. That can be somewhat tiresome but not as those requiring a complete change of the blade spaces to achieve the required height.
A lawn mower, like any other machine, is not immune to breakage. It is common for machines to break after some time. A lawn mower that comes with a warrant term means you won’t incur repair expenses should it develop some mechanical problems hence saving you some cash.
A machine with a lengthy warranty period says something about the confidence of the manufacturer in its quality and durability. Ideally, you should go for a lawn mower with a longer warranty period and better terms.
Sound of Mower
Let’s call a spade a spade. Lawn mowers are noisy and disturbing to the user and even to the neighbors. A relatively silent lawn mower can significantly reduce the irritations and make the job more enjoyable.
With a less noisy mower, bothering about gas, oil, sparkplugs, and being troubled by the failure to start will be a thing of the past. Besides these gains, you can discard the earmuffs and become more comfortable in the light that your mower is environmentally favorable too.
Some lawn mowers are easy to assemble while other is technical. It is always prudent to choose one that you can assemble during the height adjustment and other operations without the extra cost of seeking expert services. That way, you can keep the work running without unnecessary disturbances.
What is in the box
While some manufacturers put some extra items on the packing box only during product promotion times, others do so even when there is no promotion running. For instance, you can find an extra extension cord when you purchase a corded lawn mower without spending extra cash.
That means you will a spare that will save you some cash next time you need an extension cable or when you need to replace one. If you can find a manufacturer who adds some extra items for you the better!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a standard measure for the height of the crass a lawnmower can cut?
Generally, a lawnmower can cut nearly all heights of grass in a yard. The height adjustment capability is set to cut to the height of the common tall grass. Nevertheless, it is advisable not to use your lawn mower for cutting grass that has grown beyond the knee level. Rather, use a lawn tractor mower for such cases.
Can the lawnmower blade be changed? And how can I know it’s time to change?
Yes, changing your lawn mower blade will enhance its efficiency. It is prudent to change the blade when you feel that it is becoming dull. The best time to change the blade is when you notice that the blade does not cut the grass as uniformly as it should be.
Of course, there could be other underlying reasons why the cutting is not uniform in the mower is new. Additionally, if the mower begins to apply more pressure than the normal time, take that as a red flag to change the blade.
I’m new to using a lawn mower. Is it safe to use it without seeking some assistance?
The safety measures put by different manufacturers may vary. However, as a general notion, lawnmowers are safe for application. Notwithstanding, all tools and equipment have their ways of handling that render them safe and these are laid out by the manufacture.
Therefore, to be sure, you should read and understand the manual and the guidelines that come before use. For an electric or gas lawn mower, it won’t be safe to use it as it rains. Further, if you are using a corded electric mower, try to move to the opposite direction of the cord while mowing.
Can I use any spare parts to replace some parts of my lawn mower?
No. It’s good to use the spare parts of a specific brand or manufacture for your safety and the durability of your machine all the time. There could some spare parts from other manufacturers that are compatible with your mower but that may not mean you use them.