Many people around the world, including homeowners and corporations, are using riding lawn mowers. When compared to push mowers, riding mowers have made it a lot easier to mow hilly lawns. To mow a hilly lawn perfectly, should find best riding lawn mower for hills.
If you have a hilly lawn, then you need to choose a riding lawn mower for riding hill. When choosing a riding mower, always look for the front cutting deck, which is the covering that houses the cutting blade.
With a longer cutting deck, it means that the blades are larger. And as you know, the higher the ability to cut grass. Therefore, if you have a large lawn, you need to choose a riding lawn mower that has a longer cutting deck.
It is significantly quicker to mow your lawn with a riding mower. Most importantly, riding mowers are ideal for people who have health concerns because less manual labour is involved. In this post, we will be reviewing the best riding lawn mowers for hills.
- 1 My Best Riding Mower For Hills
- 2 Our Top Picks
- 3 Top 11 Best Riding Lawn Mower for Hills
- 3.1 01. Husqvarna YTA24V48 24V Fast Continuously Variable Transmission Pedal Tractor Mower, 48″/Twin
- 3.2 02. Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower
- 3.3 03. Craftsman T225 19 HP Briggs & Stratton
- 3.4 04. Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 27 HP Briggs & Stratton Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
- 3.5 05. Ariens 915223 IKON-X 52″ Zero Turn Mower 23hp Kawasaki FR691 Series
- 3.6 06. XT1 Enduro Series LT 46 in. 22-HP V-Twin KOHLER Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower
- 3.7 07. Poulan Pro 960420182 Briggs 15.5 hp Automatic Hydrostatic Transmission Drive Riding Mower, 42″
- 3.8 08. Husqvarna 960430212 YTA22V46 22V Fast Continuously Variable Transmission Tractor Mower, 46″/Twin
- 3.9 09. Troy-Bilt TB42 42-inch 420cc Auto Drive 7-Speed Side Discharge Riding Lawn Tractor
- 3.10 10. Poulan Pro P46ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro 22 HP Cutting Deck Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower, 46-Inch
- 3.11 11. Husqvarna 960450057 GTH52XLS 24V Hydro Pedal Tractor Mower, 52″/Twin
- 4 Buying Guide for Riding Lawn Mowers for Hills
- 4.1 Speed
- 4.2 Cutting path
- 4.3 Power
- 4.4 Engine features
- 4.5 Maintenance features
- 4.6 Fuel
- 4.7 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Final Words
My Best Riding Mower For Hills
- Husqvarna YTA24V48 24V
- Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch
- Craftsman T225 19 HP
- Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 27 HP
- Ariens 915223 IKON-X 52″
- XT1 Enduro Series LT 46 in. 22-HP
- Poulan Pro 960420182 Briggs 15.5 hp
- Husqvarna 960430212 YTA22V46 22V
- Troy-Bilt TB42 42-inch 420cc
- Poulan Pro P46ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro 22 HP
- Husqvarna 960450057 GTH52XLS 24V
Our Top Picks
Budget Friendly: Husqvarna YTA24V48
- Need lower power to operate
- Suitable for large area
- Cutting 1″- 4″ grass heights
Editor’s Pick: Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch
- Pretty easy for hilly lawn
- Fully assembled
- Have tow bracket
Also Great: Ariens 915223 IKON-X 52″
- Excellent on uneven and rough terrain
- Faster mow then others
- Also use as commercial purposes
Top 11 Best Riding Lawn Mower for Hills
The Husqvarna YTA24V48 is the best lawn mower you can choose for many reasons. The framework of the mower is orange and black which is pleasing to the eyes of many people. Most importantly, its structure is designed to help you relax and sit comfortably as you cut grass.
The engine is powerful and specifically designed with 12v batteries, two filters and the fuel tank that can accommodate 3 gallons. The ergonomic seats are designed to not exert any pressure or stress on your back and cause pain.
You can also change the height setting of the seat for more comfort. Most importantly, the steering wheel is designed to be easy to handle. There is also a cup holder, armrest, safety switch under the seat and headlights.
The mower has a smooth drive system and comes with an electric clutch. It allows you to mow the grass in either reverse or forward mode. In reverse, it can achieve a top speed 2.9mph and break cut is amazing. With three blades provides, the cutting speed is increased.
- Comfortable seat
- Quick start doesn’t require choke
- 3 blades
- Different height settings
- Steering wheel is easy to handle
- Break cut is amazing
- Doesn’t cut wet grass well
When you are looking for a simple yet standard lawn mower, then you should definitely choose this riding lawn mower.
It has a 30-inch cutting deck that could be easily adjusted to five different positions. This will give you the perfect height that will fit your convenience. The look of this riding mower allows you to enjoy the advantages that come with riding a mower while enjoying the size of a small walk-behind mower.
The front wheels of this mower are 13 by 5 inches and rear ones re 16 by 6.5 inches. It has an 18-inch turn radius that enables you to go through narrow and difficult spaces without experience many problems.
The fact that it is a manual machine means that blade engagement is faster as well as easier. In addition, the mower has a fuel tank capacity of 1.3 gallons, which is more than enough to mow your lawn. Most importantly, the tank has a fuel sight window which allows you to see the level of the gas in the tank.
- It has a compact size which makes it easy to navigate in the lawn and storage will also be easy
- The back seat of the mower is comfortable enough
- Its wide wheels are made to last and are durable
- The capacity of the fuel tank enables you to mow up to an acre without the need to refuel
- It has a soft grip wheel for easy steering
- Blade can be adjusted to fit convenient height
- Some people find the manual transmission difficult to use
[amazon box=”B07TMNPMZ9″ description=”This Product is Currently Unavailable, You can try below another product”][amazon box=”B091SHLZPT”]
It is fitted with a very powerful engine that is powered by gas. The engine does not disturb while starting as it is made with the most current technology. The powerful engine enables it to mow over a large area over a short period. The engine is so efficient to the extent that it just starts quickly when switched on.
The mower comes with a one-year limited warranty for outdoor equipment power covers. However, for those parts not cover, the spares are readily available at a cheap price.
This should give you peace of mind as you do your work. You are guaranteed that the mower will not retire quickly, but will give you good service for a long period. After exhausting the warranty period, you can get spares in the local store near you.
All parts of the mower are durable. This is not the case when you mow hard surfaces such as stones and poles. They tend to break the machine and the blades.
- It cuts through the grass with a lot of ease and professionally.
- They mow over a large area as compared to other brands.
- Efficient in gas consumption. This means you can mow a larger area with little gas spent.
- They make a lot of noise as compared to electric lawn mowers which have silent engines.
- It causes air pollution since they emit carbon monoxide in the environment.
This machine will provide you with excellent performance. With its high speed, it can mow up to three to four hours in any given hour. It provides you with the assurance of efficiency when at work.
It consumes very little amount of gas while the work output is high. The savings in operational costs are pretty much with this machine. Its tank too does not leak out gas, meaning that whatever goes in is fully consumed and utilized.
It is quite easy to learn how to use this particular machine. It has gear level which is used to control speeds on various surfaces. Once you have learned how to use and mastered it, then operating it will be fun all day.
This mower comes with a one-year limited warranty for some parts. However, due to its strength, you are assured of a long-lasting machine. The spare parts are also readily available at an affordable price. This comes in handy when you have exhausted your warranty period and terms.
Even with its high speed, this mower does a quality job. It knocks everything down to the desired level without any problem.
- It operates at high speeds.
- Very efficient in fuel consumption.
- It is durable and strong enough to withstand shocks.
- Has a track record of good performance.
- As with other gas-powered machines, it is very noisy as well.
- It may be complicated to operate before one mastering the art of driving it around.
[amazon box=”B0713T2LB7″ description=”This Product is Currently Unavailable, You can try below another product”][amazon box=”B085626P2J”]
Mow your garden without the worry of running out of fuel. This machine is fitted with a 10.5-liter tank to hold more fuel until the work is done. The effect is that it will enable you to do your work without interruption. It is easy too to refill its gas tank. Given that it is a fuel-efficient machine, it can utilize the fuel in its tank for a greater amount of work.
Mow a larger area over a short period. With its speed of 7mph/3mh, be assured of a faster rate performance. It can mow any surface but care should be exercised when running it over rocky surfaces.
It is fitted with a twin-engine for extra power and backup. The power ensures that it mows even the toughest of the grass and flowers with much ease. Where one engine loses power, the other one will function to complete the task.
Just like the other machine brands, this one is not complicated either. It just needs learning of a few basic things, and you are good to use it. It does not take long to learn how to use it.
- It is suitable for mowing larger areas in a short time.
- Very efficient in terms of fuel consumption.
- High performance as compared to other models.
- It does not have a warranty since it is a refurbished product. However, a warranty may apply to some parts only even after refurbishing.
[amazon box=”B00R82P2TC” description=”This Product is Currently Unavailable, You can try below another product”][amazon box=”B07BPM7T8R”]
This machine has an unmatched amount of strength. It can move those tough overgrown grass and flowers. Many people prefer it for its ability to work in their yard without any problems. It can more a very large area without getting “tired”.
As compared to many other models, this particular one is easy to operate. You just need to step on the pedal and it moves on while mowing. There is no need for shifting gears. It then implies that anyone who can drive can do the mowing, without waiting for a specialist to perform the work.
It is fitted with two powerful engines to provide the much-needed power to do the mowing. Indeed it is very rare to hear of this machine type that it jammed its engine. The engines provide a powerful performance coupled with hydro-static transmission for optimal use.
It provides a world-class kind of comfort for the rider. The rider gets to enjoy the work that he/she is performing since the work is not bumpy.
It comes with a one year warranty, meaning that you can rest easy as everything is well taken care of.
- Consumes a little amount of gas.
- Powerful engines for excellent performance.
- High speed for faster and better performance.
- Easy to operate.
- They are heavier as compared to a few other models.
- The two powerful engines produce a lot of noise.
[amazon box=”B019F8TWB0″ description=”This Product is Currently Unavailable, You can try below another product”][amazon box=”B00TZLSKZ2″]
The 42-inch deck of this mower is reinforced with vents that make it easy for the machine to draw air from the top. This way, there is a continuous flow of air to the engine even in long grasses. Aside from that, the machine has attachments that allow users to either bag or mulch the grass you have cut.
This riding mower has six different cutting positions. With this, users can take advantage of the flexibility of adjusting the cutting deck of the tractor to match the current condition of your lawn and the desired length of grass.
What makes this machine interesting is the Auto hydrostatic transmission which makes it easy to adjust speeds. When you move the fender forward, it increases the speed of the mower and pulling it back reduces the speed.
It has a 155 HP engine for reliability and durability because you will be using it to mow in hills. In addition, the Oscillating Front axle is designed for uneven terrain as well as for mowing near obstacles.
- This mower has six different cutting positions that allow users to easily adjust the height of the cutting deck so as to match their lawn as well as grass length
- The auto hydrostatic transmission makes it easy to adjust the speed of the machine
- The 42-inch deck gets enough air into the engine for maximum engine performance
- The 155 HP engine is powerful enough to deliver high performance of hilly lawn
- Does not have sufficient power to cut tall grass
08. Husqvarna 960430212 YTA22V46 22V Fast Continuously Variable Transmission Tractor Mower, 46″/Twin
[amazon box=”B019ZN1146″ description=”This Product is Currently Unavailable, You can try below another product”][amazon box=”B019ZN119G”]
Husqvarna is a popular brand in the market and it’s known for providing machinery for lawn mowing as well as agricultural machinery. In fact, you are likely not to go wrong when you choose this particular product.
The good thing about this machinery is that it has made the task of mowing a lot easier for you. It will give you a whole new experience, so you will want to give it a try.
First, this riding mower is designed with air induction mowing technology. With this technology, air flow in the deck is improved, therefore, you can be sure that you will get consistent cut whenever you use the mower.
In addition, it comes with a deck wash port that allows connection to a water hose so as to wash easily. This is important in reducing chances of clogging which might damage the belt and require replacement.
This riding mower comes with automatic transmission which saves you the hassle of struggling with moving around the mower.
- Comes with auto-transmission which makes mowing fun and easier
- It features air induction technology to allow for efficient mowing
- Spring-assisted deck level allows for efficiency
- It has an attractive design that you will be proud to have in your garden
- The plastic clip on the throttle is not of good quality
- It is difficult to access oil and filter drain tube
[amazon box=”B01BY9Z41U” description=”This Product is Currently Unavailable, You can try below another product”][amazon box=”B087ZRH97R”]
Your lawn is not always going to be level and you will often find problems when it comes to maneuvering with a small mower. But if you buy a Troy-Bilt TB42 riding mower, you will truly feel the difference. This mower has large wheels that will make your ride comfortable on any terrain.
In addition, rear wheels are slightly larger than the front one to ensure that you get the right push with an uneven ground. In addition, the automatic ignition system makes it easy to maneuver.
It also has an adjustable blade deck, which makes it easy to cut any height of the grass. When you use this mower, you can be sure that you will have the perfect speed for your mowing job. Depending on the terrain you are on, you can accelerate to a speed of up to seven variations.
But when you want to slow down, you don’t have to stop, but just change the speed level to the right speed. You will still have full control over your mowing even when the mower is running at full speed.
So, nothing can go wrong because of high speed because you will be able to easily monitor your work progress. It also comes with a large fuel tank to avoid frequent refueling while mowing.
- Powerful 420cc engine delivers the power needed
- Adjustable blade deck
- 2 mph top speed
- Gives you complete control of your work even on high speed
- It is too expensive for many users
[amazon box=”B002PD87M8″ description=”This Product is Currently Unavailable, You can try below another product”][amazon box=”B085RQZCFV”]
If you are looking for the best performance, then you will want to choose this mower. Poulan Pro P46ZX gives you the best comfort, performance and durability. This mower has a powerful 22 HP engine.
When this is backed up with the 3.5-gallon tank, it offers a large amount of time to help you complete mowing the lawn. In addition, considering the fact that it comes with a 46-inch cutting width, you can be sure that you will cover more ground.
Because this mower comes with a dual wheel transmission, you are able to get maximum maneuverability with this mower. The ability to control the wheels independently allows you to navigate easily by simply moving your hands backward or forward.
Consider that you’ll not be using the machine for a long time as you would do with other mowers, wear and tear will be reduced significantly. In addition, it has a six position cutting adjustment height. You can adjust the cutting height on the mower from 1.5 inches to 4 inches. This way, you will have the ideal height with regards to the level you want to trim the lawn.
- It is easy to maneuver the mower, thus making it easy to reach the most difficult places in the garden
- With a large capacity tank, you will have more operation time, which is good for trimming large lawns
- Powerful 22 HP engine couples with a 3.5-gallon tank keep the riding mower going for longer periods
- It is not easy to control the mower on sloppy grounds
[amazon box=”B019ZN0YVW” description=”This Product is Currently Unavailable, You can try below another product”][amazon box=”B07CJN8W4V”]
This one is a heavy duty lawn mower that can take on hilly terrains without any difficulty. It has enough power to scale uphill while also pulling a loaded trailer at the same time. Most importantly, it does well where its competitors have failed.
This excellent mower has the ability to take hilly terrains with top power and speed and the fact that you don’t need to change gears is just amazing. It means that you will be able to drive it easily. This mower can help you to cut long grass, huge piles of leaves as well as scattered bits of sticks.
The seating position in this mower can be adjusted and also comes with hands rests that have the smooth grip on the steering wheel. This makes it easy and efficient to ride the lawn mower.
It also comes with an electric engagement for the cutting blades. This mower has the ability to handle 3 cares. It is powerful and it can handle areas with thick grass and vegetation. It also has many positive reviews from users.
- Robust and powerful engine ready to take on hilly terrain
- Can pull loads
- Locking rear wheel have an amazing grip
- The deck is sturdy and durable
- Has a battery ender
- The mower’s fuel gauge meter cannot be conveniently viewed
- People who are taller will find it difficult to mount and even dismounting and will have to go under the mower’s steering wheel
Buying Guide for Riding Lawn Mowers for Hills
Mowing your lawn can be fun but only when you are using the right lawn mower. But how do you find the best riding lawn mower for hills? Here are a few tips to help you choose a good lawn mower that will make your experience a lot more comfortable and fun:
The first thing that you need to keep in mind when choosing a lawn mower is its speed because there is a time when you will need to either go fast or slow down. If you will be working on a lawn with few obstructions, then you will want to get a riding lawn mower that can go faster.
However, if there on obstructions in the lawn, you will have to be more precise when mowing and this is the main reason why you a mower that can go slowly.
Mowers have different mower deck widths. You need to get a riding mower with a wider mower deck as this will increase the coverage area in a single pass. In your lawn is one to three acres in size, you will want to choose a riding mower that has a width of 30 to 40 inches. If your lawn is larger, you will want to choose a larger mower to help you with the cutting.
The power of the riding lawn mower is also an important consideration that you need to keep in mind. It should be easy to drive the mower on hills and other surfaces such as ponds and fences. If possible, choose a riding lawn mower that has both front and rear-drive.
One of the key features that you need to keep in mind are the ones in the engine of the riding lawn mower. You need to buy a mower that is designed with its oil filtering system and cooling system. These features are important in ensuring that your lawn mower lasts longer.
Just like vehicles, riding lawn mowers need regular maintenance and check-ups. Lawn engines are prone to clog up due to dirt, grime and dust that might accumulate in the engine as a result of the constant mowing.
A good riding mower needs an advanced debris management system. With such a system, you don’t have to spend money on tune-ups and maintenance regularly.
There is a good reason why landscapers prefer diesel engine machines. This is mainly because they are easy to maintain and have better torque. Although petrol may be a cheaper option for people who are looking to save a few bucks, the reality is the petrol is usually more expensive in the long run.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are frequently asked questions about riding lawn mowers for hills and their answers:
What are the advantages of using a riding lawn mower overt a push mower?
There are many advantages that come with using a riding lawn mower. First, if you have a large lawn, then a riding lawn mower can make the process of cutting grass a lot easier for you. Most importantly, they can be used with minimal effort.
This means that you don’t have to exert physical strength that comes with using a push mower. They also offer better handling when compared to push mowers. You will have an easier time trimming your lawn with a riding mower.
What parts of the riding more need to be replaced regularly?
Over time, there are parts of the riding mower that will need to be changed because of wear and tear. These parts include the grass catcher, discharge cover as well as the trail.
As a safety measure, it is important that you check and replace the parts the moment you see an indication of damage with original parts from the manufacturer. Using parts that don’t meet the originality specifications will only lead to poor performance and may even compromise your safety.
You also need to check the mower blades on a regular basis to prevent damage to your garden and other parts of the mower. It is recommended to sharpen or replace the mower blades before using to ensure a clean cut to your garden. If you realize that the blades are dull, unbalanced or bent, you will want to replace them immediately.
Do I need to use mower attachments?
There are a few useful mower attachments that you may want to use as they provide versatility in the lawn to help complete your mowing tasks simple and easy. You may want to use a grass bagger to maintain the health of your lawn as well as reduce the build-up of thatch.
This will in turn help in increasing nitrogen and oxygen absorption as well as encouraging the growth of grass in areas where there is no grass. A bagger attachment will also help to clean up a thin layer of leaves that are pretty common during the fall season.
There are also lawn mower attachments for riding mowers like front-mount dozer blade which helps in moving dirt in the garden as well as snow on your driveway.
Where can I buy a riding lawn mower for hill?
You can buy a riding lawn mower for hill on Amazon. This is a much convenient and easy way. If not, you may want to order directly from the manufacturer, which is any more or less the same as buying from Amazon because they are being sold by the manufacturers and other trusted dealers.
The key to choosing the best riding lawn mower for hills is in understand the needs of your garden. It is important that you take into consideration the layout and size of your lawn. Is it flat and level or it has some undulations that require an excellent motor to tackle key spots?
Most importantly, are there fences or gardens on the side which would require a riding lawn mower that is more maneuverable? How often you need to mow your lawn will bring up the question of durability.
As long as you keep these factors in mind, you will have an idea of what to look for to get an amazing riding lawn mower. Other concerns such as appearance, brand and comfort should be secondary. We hope that these reviews have given you an idea.
While this review shows pros and cons to only a few models, you will want to look for other models. You simply need to figure out what you are looking for and go shopping for a riding lawn mower that will handle hills.