Weeds can affect your beautiful lawn, green belts, flower beds, pastures, or areas like that. It is better to either control them or eradicate them. Removing weeds with hands can be time-consuming and cumbersome. So, the best solution is to use granular weed killer.
Also, weed killers have types; they can be pre-emergent or post-emergent. So, depending on the scenario, you have to opt for a type. I understand that finding the best product can be difficult.
So, to facilitate you in that scenario, in today’s segment, I will take you over to the best granular weed killer that you can get this year. I will try my best to elucidate the picture in front of you to help you make the best choice. So, let’s dive into it!
- 1 Expert List of Best Granular Weed Killer
- 1.1 1. Scotts Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed2
- 1.2 2. The Andersons Barricade Professional Grade Granular Weed Control
- 1.3 3. Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action Weed Killer
- 1.4 4. Preen Extended Control Weed Preventer
- 1.5 5. Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Lawn Granules
- 1.6 6. Roundup Ready to Use Weed & Grass Killer
- 1.7 7. Greenview Weed & Feed
- 2 Considerations When Buying A Best Granular Weed Killer
Expert List of Best Granular Weed Killer
There is a large number of relevant products available in the market. After going through a long list, we bring you the best ones; our top 7 picks. You should read through their reviews, and they will help you get the right product. At the beginning of each review, I will also add some basic aspects to compare in all products.
- Scotts Turf Builder Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed2
- The Andersons Barricade Professional Grade Granular Weed Control
- Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action Weed Killer
- Preen Extended Control Weed Preventer
- Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Lawn Granules
- Roundup Ready to Use Weed & Grass Killer
- Greenview Weed & Feed
- Kills dollarweed, clover and other listed lawn weeds
- Feeds grass to crowd out future weeds
- Builds strong, deep grass roots to strengthen against heat and drought
- Not for use on Bermudagrass
- Only for use on St. Augustinegrass (including Floratam), centipede, zoysia and carpetgrass lawns
- Available in TX, FL (except Panhandle region), LA, AL, GA, MS, NC, and SC.
Covering Area: A
Let’s get it on with my first choice that is Scotts Turf Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed2. Scotts offer great granular weed killers, and this is one of them. It has quite many features and let’s discuss them.
Firstly, this weed killer offers you a wide range of compatibility. By this, I mean that it can eradicate many kinds of unwanted weeds. That list may include dollar weed, clover, and other types.
Also, it can be used as a pre-emergent weed killer because it crowds out future weeds, and that is the purpose of a pre-emergent.
Secondly, it feeds to green your lawn by building strong grassroots. As you know that it keeps the lawn from weeds, the lawn looks perfect ultimately.
Thirdly, if you talk about the use of this product, I would say that it is designed especially for Southern lawns and it makes them prosper.
The grass types on which you can apply it include St. Augustine, Centipede, Zoysia, Carpet grass. With that being said, I suggest you don’t use it in Bermuda due to its very thick growth and blades.
If you are concerned about the area that it covers, then it is about 5000 sq. ft. that it can cover quite easily and effectively. Also, this aspect depends on the quantity inside.
All in all, it is a great product for your lawns to grow well and green. If you liked it, buy it or otherwise keep reading because there is a lot more ahead!
- It covers many kinds of grass.
- Deals with many kinds of weeds.
- Very effective solution.
- Keeps your lawn from future weeds.
- It can’t be used on Bermuda.
- Apply this product only in EARLY SPRING and FALL
- Barricade professional-grade pre-emergent weed control is designed to prevent weeds, and will not aid in eliminating existing weeds.
- Contains 0.48% of the active ingredient prodiamine - Labeled to prevent over 30 grass and broadleaf weeds
- Trusted by top turf care professionals to prevent problem weeds without harming desirable plants
- DG Pro formulation allows for more particles per square inch of chemical - leads to better control of weeds
Covering Area: A
On the second spot, there is this Anderson Barricade Professional product to control the weed. I should clarify in the very beginning that this granular weed killer is specific for pre-emergent applications.
That means it won’t work on the already grown weed. But if you apply it on a weed-free lawn, then you will not have to worry about weed anymore. Also, you should apply this weed killer in early spring and fall only.
As far as the design and formula of this product are concerned, then you should be happy to know that the 0.48% active ingredient prodiamine makes it protect over 30 grass and broadleaf weeds. This is quite exciting because it can make your lawn look clean and beautiful.
To top that off, this weed is reliable, and I am not just saying it; rather, it is trusted by the top turf care professionals. It prevents weed problems and, at the same time, doesn’t harm your desirable plants as well. Isn’t that cool?
Moreover, the DG pro formulation of this product makes sure about more particles per square inch of the area and ultimately leads to better control over weeds.
Also, Barricade helps to prevent germination of weeds along with inhibition of germination of turf as well. Also, the application of Barricade depends on your climate as well.
So, do not just go and apply the weed killer, rather follow the guidelines to achieve great results and avoid unwanted happenings.
This is, overall, a great pre-emergent product for your lawn and stuff. If you were looking for these features, you should go for them. Otherwise, you can move on and look at some other great options.
- DG formulations help the better spread.
- The formula prevents about 30 types.
- Highly effective if applied well.
- Good area coverage.
- Limited to pre-emergent only.
- Expensive choice.
- Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action is a three-in-one formula that kills weeds, prevents crabgrass, and feeds grass to build thick, green lawns
- Controls existing listed lawn weeds, including dandelion, clover, dollarweed, ground ivy, chickweed, plantain, henbit, and english daisy
- Prevents crabgrass for 4 months (will not kill existing crabgrass); prevents other listed grassy weeds from invading your lawn
- For use on Bahiagrass, Centipedegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass, Bermudagrass, Tall Fescue, Fine Fescue, and Zosyiagrass
- Apply to a wet lawn with a Scotts spreader, and then water in after 24 hours; apply in early spring when dandelions are actively growing; a 20 lb. bag treats 4,000 sq. ft.
Covering Area: B+
Next on, the Scotts Turf Builder is a triple-action product as it kills weed as well as protects against it, and acts as a fertilizer as well. Now let’s elaborate on it more.
Firstly, killer and protector mean that it is both pre-emergent and post-emergent weed killer. That means it will kill the existing weed and prevent future weeds as well.
Secondly, you can use it as a lawn fertilizer by a lawn spreader as well, and then your lawn will grow green and healthy. Not only that, it prevents crabgrass as well. There is a wide variety of weed that it can kill to keep your lawn tidy and safe.
Thirdly, you can use it on many kinds of grass; Bahiagrass, Bermudagrass, Centipedegrass, Fine Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass, and Tall Fescue.
Now, keep in mind some aspects if you are going for this product. Do not let people or pets enter the treated area while applying or until the dust settles.
Also, apply it in spring with daytime temperatures between 60 to 80-degree Fahrenheit. Keep note that it will not kill actively growing crabgrass.
So, there is a lot to love in this product and buy it. What do you say?
- Works as both pre-emergent and post-emergent.
- Act as a fertilizer as well.
- It can be applied to a wide variety of grass.
- Great outcome.
- It does not work on actively growing crabgrass
- It might give superficial results depending on conditions.
4. Preen Extended Control Weed Preventer
- 1 Application blocks weeds up to 6 months
- When used as directed Preen Extended Control Weed Preventer can be used around more than 600 perennials, groundcovers, shrubs and trees as listed on the product label
- Can be sold as a refill for flip-top applicator bottle
- Not intended for use on flower seeds, lawns, vegetable gardens, water gardens or other food-producing or edible plants
- Not available for sale in NY
Covering Area: C+
Next on the list is the Preen Extended Control Weed Preventer that prevents weed from growing in your lawn and where you do not want it to grow.
Therefore, it should be termed as a pre-emergent weed preventer. One thing that I also agree with is that no matter if you pull up the weed from your lawn or apply weed killer. There are still seeds present under the ground that make it grow again.
In that case, the best thing to do is using a pre-emergent like Preen weed preventer. Its single application can make good results last for six months.
As far as its compatibility is concerned, it readily prevents a large number of weeds and their types but remembers that it does not go with flower seeds, lawns, vegetable gardens, and other food-producing/edible plants.
The area that it covers is relatively smaller, 2245 square ft., but the results are satisfactory.
Moreover, you can apply it quite easily in 4 easy steps that include removing existing weeds, mulching the area, applying the product, watering to activate.
Once it is done, get ready for the amazing outcome that it will show. It is best to apply in spring after spreading mulch on the landscape.
All in all, buy this great product, follow the guidelines and apply, and have great results to enjoy a clean landscape.
- Best pre-emergent product.
- Easy to apply.
- Effective results.
- Results last for six months.
- Not for food plants and fields.
- Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Lawns Granules is an outdoor insect killer that kills ants, ticks, fleas, spiders and centipedes in your lawn before they can come inside your home, and creates a bug barrier to keep them out
- FAST ACTING: Starts creating a bug barrier within minutes to kill listed outdoor bugs in your lawn, on ornamentals and flowers, and around your home's foundation
- LONG-LASTING CONTROL: Kill outdoor pests before they come into your home for up to 3 months, including listed ants, ticks, and spiders (see product label for complete lists of pests)
- OUTDOOR PROTECTION: Protect your home with this outdoor flea and tick killer; for best results, apply proactively in the early spring or summer to prevent infestation
- EASY TO APPLY: One 10 lb. bag treats up to 10,000 square feet--for best results, apply with a Scotts spreader and water in immediately after application; people and pets may re-enter after the treated area has dried
Covering Area: A+
Moving in, let there be something related to insects killing as well because a lot of insects are not good for the health of plants and grass as well. So, in that scenario, the best insect killer for lawn granules is here for you!
This effective formula protects your lawn for three months, once applied. Killing all the unnecessary insects like ants, ticks, fleas, spiders, centipedes, and many more.
Its fast action formula works readily and kills all the listed bugs outside before they come inside. That simply means if you are tired of insects coming inside your house from the garden, then this product is the amazing solution to get rid of them.
Now, if you are interested in using it for multiple applications, there are lawns, ornamentals and flowers, vegetable gardens, and home foundations where you can readily use them.
Also, if you have pets or you are concerned about your kids and the application of this product. Then do not worry because it is pet-friendly as long as you follow the guidelines.
Once you treat your garden with it, let it settle, and then it is pet and people-friendly. So, if you are looking for some great insect killer products, then you should try this product.
- Great for insect-killing.
- The effect lasts for three months.
- Wide areas of application.
- Keeps your house from insects.
- For insect-killing only and not weed killing.
- Kills existing weeds and grass to the root. Guaranteed! Consumer Guarantee: If for any reason you are not satisfied after using this product, simply send us original proof of purchase and we will replace the product or refund the purchase price.
- Protective Shield fits over weeds to contain spray and help protect desirable plants
- Use in and around vegetable gardens, flower beds, tree rings and mulched beds, as well as on cracks in driveways, walkways and patios
- Visible results in 3 hours
- Rainproof in 10 minutes
Covering Area: C+
Let’s move on with RoundUp Ready to Use Weed & Grass killer that is a much-used product as thousands of people have tried it and gave good remarks.
This type belongs to the post-emergent weed killers because it kills the toughest types of weeds and grass that you don’t want in your beautiful lawn. Trust me; it is one of the best weed killers that you can get to eradicate existing weed due to many reasons.
Firstly, it is very easy and convenient to use because there is no mixing up needed there. So, here is the plus point of this product.
Secondly, if you are concerned about the applications of this product, then you can use it even inside or around your vegetable gardens, tree rings, flower beds, mulched beds, and much more that you can see in the guidelines.
Thirdly, it becomes rainproof in only 10 minutes. The effect remains for a long, and the results keep you satisfied. Once you apply it, you can see the results in just 3 hours.
The comfort wand included with it makes your life easier, and the process becomes convenient. Its great formula kills weed to the root so that it doesn’t come back easily. The action behind it is that it gets absorbed by the leaves of the weeds and gets deep till the roots completely destroy it.
All in all, it is also a great option to go for if you are working in small areas and want a highly effective solution.
- Easy to use and apply owing to the wand.
- It becomes rainproof in 10 mins and shows results in 3 hours.
- Wide range of compatibility.
- Clogging should be improved.
- Granular lawn care product that kills over 250 weeds as listed on the label
- Time-released nitrogen for extended feeding for up to 8 weeks
- Promotes quick green up; will not burn lawn
- Restores nutrients to the soil and helps lawn retain water to protect against heat and drought
- 27-0-4 NPK Formulation, no phosphates - helps protect our waterways
- DO NOT use on St Augustinegrass in Florida, or on dichondra and carpetgrass as serious lawn injury will result
- Covers 5,000 sq ft
- GreenView Yard Wide Guarantee - Your Satisfaction Guaranteed Or Your Money Back
Covering Area: A
Last but not least, we have Greenview Weed & Feed that kills over 250 weeds to provide great relief.
This product has a time-released nitrogen system that allows extended feeding for up to 8 weeks and promotes quick green-up. It will also not burn your lawn, so don’t worry about that.
Its great action helps in restoring the nutrients to the soil and also helps the lawn in retaining water to ensure protection against heat and drought.
Not only that, the non-phosphates system helps a lot in protecting our waterways as well. So, it is a great granular weed killer.
Let’s talk about some precautions to take! Do not use St. Augustine grass in Florida because it is not good for that. Also, avoid its use of dichondra and carpet grass because it can cause serious lawn injury there.
The area that it covers is quite a lot, i.e., 5000 square ft. Also, the suggestion is to apply it when broadleaf weeds are actively growing. Follow the instructions well if you are going to buy them.
- It kills a large number of weeds and their types.
- It covers a good area.
- It can be applied anytime when weeds are actively growing.
- Zero phosphate.
- The effectiveness of killing can be improved.
Considerations When Buying A Best Granular Weed Killer
Now that you have gone through the reviews, I recommend you go through the buyer’s guide as it helps a lot in knowing the aspects that you should remember before making the final call. This portion is especially dedicated to beginners to give them a know-how of the product.
Type of Product
First of all, whenever you go to buy the best granular weed killer, be clear about the type that you need. Either you want to kill the existing weeds or remove the chances of letting them grow in the future. So, choose accordingly if you need a pre-emergent or a post-emergent product.
Also, many of the products offer to fertilize feature as well within the product. So, you can decide accordingly.
The next thing also depends on you. In this, you have to decide depending on your need. If you need a product for a large area, then you should choose the matched products accordingly. Like, sometimes, you need a product for small areas, so you do not spend much and buy according to your need. Similarly, there are products for large area coverage as well.
Then comes the compatibility. Make sure that whether the product is compatible with your purpose or not because hundreds of kinds of weeds may grow in your lawn. So, you can buy a product accordingly.
Moreover, you might need a weed killer for lawn, flower beds, vegetable fields, etc. So, you should choose a friendly product for that.
The effectiveness of the product matters a lot. Firstly, it should readily start working once you apply it. I mean that the time of activation should be short. Secondly, its effect should last for longer. So that once you apply it, it remains effective till months at least.
Friendliness can be both in terms of environment and humans and pets. First of all, controlled nitrogen and zero phosphates should be there to keep the environment clean.
Also, the product should be pet and human-friendly depending on your need. Some products have written in the guidelines about this aspect. I mean, once the conditions get settled after treating, you can allow your pets and kids in the lawn or garden.
The use of a weed killer depends on your conditions and the place where you live. Because some products are made specifically for specific types of grass and soil, if you use them somewhere else, they can cause damage to your lawn or garden. So, keep a note of it.
Next comes the most common advice whenever you go shopping. The cost matters a lot. If you are opulent enough, you can keep spending that extra money, but if you care about your pocket, you should look for the desired features at an affordable price.
Now, I will add some frequently asked questions to clear the concepts further.
What kills weeds permanently?
Vinegar is the most effective solution that kills the weed permanently. Also, it is an alternative for synthetic chemicals and unwanted solutions.
How to Use Weed and Feed Fertilizer?
Moisturizing the lawn or area where you want to apply is a good thing. Once it is done, then you can properly apply it according to the instructions. Once applied, water the lawn a day or two to give the product time to stick to the weed leaf surface.
Lawn Weed Control… Liquid vs. Granular (Dry) – Which is Better?
According to research, the liquid is a better solution because it gets sprayed properly, and you do not even have to make sure about the moisture after application.
What are the Pros & Cons of Granular Weed Control?
It is the best choice when applied over wet weeds because it spreads properly and then sticks properly as well. But if the weeds are dry, it would be very difficult for the product to stick to the weed.
Are All All-Purpose Formulas Good?
You might have heard that “a jack of all trades, master of none.” This may be the case or not, depending on the quality of the product. But normally, an all-purpose formula is sometimes weak at some feature.
Do You Always Need a Spreader?
I think that this depends on the type of product that you are using. So, maybe you won’t always require a spreader, but most of the time, it turns out to be good.
How do Weed Killers work?
Weedkiller, once applied, gets absorbed in the weed and goes deep into the roots to destroy it completely. But this is the case with the best weed killers.
How to Apply Weed Killer?
It usually depends on the type of product you have. But mostly, you can first moisturize the area using water (in case of granular weed killers), then spread the product all over according to instructions, afterward apply water again. Sometimes, mulching is also done as per requirements.
I think that I have equipped you with the necessary knowledge about the best granular weed killers. Next is up to you. I suggest you always settle for what you are comfortable with.
Suppose you liked our products and have feedback. Then do share that in the comment section because we value it. I wish you very good luck in the purchasing phase. Have a wonderful day!