Lawn mower blades are essential components of every house with a lawn, as they help maintain your lawn and yard in proper condition. Mower blades are cutting parts of the lawn mower and usually made up of sturdy metals. The best blades can withstand high-speed contact with various objects in addition to grass. In this guide, we have described a list of best lawn mower blades!
There are various types of lawn mowers available in the market, each having varied and different features. Choosing an exact lawnmower is a bit challenging, and the situation becomes even worse when buyers don’t have proper knowledge of different lawnmower blades.
If you are thinking of buying a gator blade for your lawn, you are on the right platform. Here we have composed a guide with a list of best lawn mower blades, features, pros, and cons of every mulching blades.
Besides that, you will also find how to change a lawn mower blade, how to sharpen & clean lawn mower blade, different types of lawn mower blades, and anything which you are wondering about these blades.
- 1 Top 7 Lawn Mower Blades
- 2 Top 7 Reviews of Lawn Mower Blades
- 2.1 01. MaxPower 561739B 2-Blade Set for 46″ Cut Craftsman, Husqvarna, Poulan Replaces
- 2.2 02. Maxpower 561713XB Commercial Mulching 2-Blade Set for 42″
- 2.3 03. Toro 22″ Recycler Mower Replacement Blade 59534P Display pack contains 131-4547-03 (Genuine)
- 2.4 04. MaxPower 561713B 2-Blade Set for 42″ Cut Poulan/Husqvarna/Craftsman Replaces
- 2.5 05. Rotary 3-Blade Set – Best Mulching Blades
- 2.6 06. Maxpower 561714B 2-Blade Mulching Set for 42″ Cut Craftsman, Husqvarna & Poulan
- 2.7 07. Honda 72531-VH7-000 + 72511-VH7-000 Lawn Mower Blade Set HRX Mowers
- 3 Things To Consider When Buying Lawn Mower Blades
- 4 How to Change Lawn Mower Blade?
- 5 How to Sharpen Lawn Mower Blade?
- 6 How to Clean the Lawn Mower Blade?
- 7 Who Makes the Best Lawn Mower Blades
Top 7 Lawn Mower Blades
- MaxPower 561739B 2-Blade Set for 46″ Cut
- Maxpower 561713XB Commercial Mulching 2-Blade Set for 42″
- Toro 22″ Recycler Mower Replacement Blade
- MaxPower 561713B 2-Blade Set for 42″ Cut
- Rotary Blades for Deck/Craftsman/Poulan/Husqvarna
- Maxpower 561714B 2-Blade Mulching Set for 42″ Cut
- Honda 72531-VH7-000 + 72511-VH7-000 Lawn Mower Blade Set
Top 7 Reviews of Lawn Mower Blades
This will undoubtedly help you make a proper decision before you go and buy the best lawn mower blade as per your requirement! Let’s start with a list of lawn mower blades:
MaxPower 561739B 2-Blade is well suited for a 46 inches cut Craftsman, Husqvarna mower blades, and Poulan. Each blade is 23 inches long and 2.4 inches wide and has a five-point star hole. These blades are produced in the USA and meet or exceed OEM specifications.
You can also request a manufacturer’s warranty from through customer support. The weight of the blades is 4.78 pounds and can be shipped anywhere in the U.S. and some selected countries outside of U.S.
- The blade is pre-sharpened with heavy-duty, sturdy metal.
- The blade replaces the blades with OEM no. 421825, 420463, 437601, 532421825, 532420463 and 532437601.
- The blade can cut at about 22″ and 2.5″ wide.
- Fit 46 inch Poulan, Craftsman, and Husqvarna.
- Replaces OEM 405380, 532-405380, PP21011.
- Replaces OEM 405380, 532-405380, PP21011.
- The blades can be shipped anywhere in the U.S.
- It is well suited to maintain your patio, lawn, or garden area.
- The cutting edge may get dull after repeated use.
- Sometimes it takes longer to ship the product.
Maxpower is offering a set of two blades having 46 inches cutting capacity. These replacement blades cover the brand of Poulan, Husqvarna, and Craftsman lawn mower blade having different OEM numbers. The five star-hole of the blades can fit most spindles of the mower. These blades can also get fitted with some other mowers having a five-point star hole.
These blades can be used as a high-lift blade with bags, and you can’t call them a mulching blades. The blades are designed well to perform the task, just having some minor sharpening issues.
It can be best used in bagging the grass clippings and to increase the airflow required. These blades are mostly used for both discharge & to bag grass clippings.
- You can quickly replace these blades with a mower blade having a brand Poulan, Husqvarna, and Craftsman with OEM numbers – 138498, 138971, 138971×431, 532138971, PP24005.
- The cutting capacity of both blades is 46″.
- These blades are 23 inches in length and 2-3/4 inches wide.
- These high lift blades are manufactures in the USA.
- Both the blades come with a five-point star hole, to replace most of the mower blades.
- Long-lasting performance.
- Don’t produce many vibrations during operations.
- It can replace most of the mower’s blades.
- Sometimes it is shipped in dull condition, as per a few buyers.
Toro is one of the best brands when it comes to mower replacement blades. Here Toro comes with 22″ pre-sharpened mulching blades. This replaces models can easily fit the model 108-9764-03. The black metal finish looks quite classy and got excellent cutting ability. The blades are also covered under the Toro listing of OEM blades.
The high-quality carbon steel makes it a more prolonged use product. You can easily cut minute grass and little wet one using these blades without leaving any brown spots. These Toro 22 recycler blades will last much longer than other blades;
you just need to sharpen the blades when it goes dull. You can easily fit these blades into your mower, thanks to its ergonomic shape.
- It is designed as a vertical tooth mulching blade.
- These blades replace a wide range of other Toro blades.
- The mower’s blades are made up of carbon steel of high-quality.
- The blade measurements are – 21.68″ in length, 2.24″ in width, and 0.15″ in thickness.
- These blades are covered under the Toro OEM replacement.
- Fits in your budget.
- Easy to install and use.
- Mostly it is well fitted in Toro lawn mowers and may not fit others.
These MaxPower blades are more powerful and can replace the blades with OEM – 127843, 138498, 138971, 138972×431, 53-21278-43, 53-21384-98. It is proudly produced in the USA and can ship to some other selected countries. Like other MaxPower blades, these too have a five-point star hole and easy to install and operate.
The cutting ability and precision quality are appreciable, and its functional operational capacity allows buyers for low operating costs. The blade is 21″ long and has 2.3″ wide. These blades meet or exceed OEM specifications.
- These blades easily replace the blades with OEM no. 127843, 138498, 138971, 138972×431, 53-21278-43, 53-21384-98.
- The cut of the blade is designed to make 21″ long and 2.3″ wide.
- The blade is pre-sharpened with a heavy-duty material.
- It is manufactured in the USA, and can also be shipped in other selected countries.
- Blades are made up of durable and high-quality metal.
- The blades have a clean and classy look.
- These blades replace most of the mower’s blades, especially having a 5-point hole.
- You may experience dull cutting edges after more prolonged use.
These rotary blades come with a set of three and manufacturers in the USA. It can be quickly shipped in any part of the USA and can also be shipped in some selected countries.
These blades can even replace the mulching blades if you don’t have any mulching operations. These blades are 16-3/4″ inches in length, 2-1/2″ in width, and 0.204″ in thickness.
These blades can be easily used in 48″ decks, as these are high lift blades and throw the clipping better. These blades also work with bagger.
- The measurements of the blades are 6-3/4″ long, 2-1/2″ wide, and 0.204″ thick.
- It is designed as a high-lift blade and throws the clipping better.
- These blades also work with bagger.
- These blades come under the warranty.
- These blades have got very good buyer ratings.
- The edges may get dull in the long run.
- Sometimes you need to sharpen the edges of the new set.
- You need to be sharpened before use first time.
Here Maxpower presents the set of 2 blades for 42″ cut for Craftsman, Husqvarna & Poulan front engine rider. These blades can replace the blades with OEM no. 134149, 532134149, 532 13 41-49, and 594892701.
The blade has a five-point star hole like other MaxPpower blades and fits most of the MaxPower mower. The measurements of blades are 21″ in length and 2-1/4″ in width.
These blades are proudly manufactured in the USA and can be shipped easily anywhere in the country. These blades are also available for shipping in selected countries.
- It includes two blades for a 42″ sharp cut for Craftsman, Poulan, and Husqvarna front engine rider.
- The blades replace all blades of Craftsman, Poulan, and Husqvarna with OEM no. 134149, 532134149, 532 13 41-49, and 594892701.
- The blades are having five-point star holes, that fits most of the Maxpower mowers.
- The measurements provided for blades are 21″ in length and 2-1/4″ in width.
- These blades are produced in the USA and can be shipped anywhere in the country.
- The blades have a long-lasting performance.
- Most of the mowers can replace these blades.
- Easy to install and use.
- Well, they were designed for all the mulching operations.
- The blades have a clean and attractive look.
- Blades may be shipped in dull conditions.
Hone has a genuine OEM range. The full product has a set of two mower blades; one is the upper blade while the other is the lower blade.
These blades easily fit in HRX217 motors and also provide efficient mulching operations. The blades are 20.75″ in length, and even original blades come with the mower itself.
These subtle black finish blades are pre-sharpened and have got the ideal design to install them easily. The power and unusual mower design of Honda lawn mower blade HRX217 make these blades efficient and beneficial for its buyers.
You can expect high performance from these blades and have got the right durability level for regular use.
- The whole Honda package comes with a set of two blades for lower and upper installations.
- These blades have well opted for single use in HRX217 mowers.
- The length of each blade is 20.75 inches.
- Each blade is covered under the OEM range by Honda.
- They are made up of heavy-duty black finish metal.
- Very easy to install in mowers
- The material used is durable.
- Easy to install and use with unusual Honda HRX217 push mowers.
- They have not provided you the exact information about the metal used in the blades.
- Not well suited for mowers other than Honda.
Things To Consider When Buying Lawn Mower Blades
The lawnmower blades come in various sizes and shapes. But if you know your requirements, you can easily select the best one for you. This buyer’s guide on lawnmower blades makes you understand the structure of different blades and a few more things before you go out and buy the mower blades for you.
The lawn mower blades can be divided into three basic types – Lift Blades, Mulching Blades & Mounts. We will discuss all these types one by one.
These type of blades comes in three different shapes – low-lift, medium-lift & high-lift blades. Let us understand them:
Low Lift Blades
Usually, these types are used for small lawns or yards. These blades are well suited for residential & regular use. There is no need to have professional and commercial grade mowers to use with these blades. These blades consume less energy, so they are designed to use for less wild grass.
Medium Lift Blades
These blades are somehow more significant than low lift blades, and can be efficiently used for both large and small grass. You can also pluck some of the weeds and thick grass using these medium-lift blades.
These can be used very well for both commercial and residential purposes. These blades are also well suited for the large and extensive area as they are in middle grade and much stronger than low lift blades.
High Lift Blades
These are the sharpest when compared to all the three lift blades. They can clear any grass and weeds from your lawns & garden. These blades don’t take much time to do the needful and very effective in the long run.
You can easily do a large part of your lawn maintenance in very little time. These blades are specially designed to pluck out large grass into the bag positioned in the mower’s rear part. This process of clipping grass and putting it into the bag is called bagging.
These blades are also known as gator blades, and these are more professional and preferred when it comes to fine mulching of grass. With these mulching blades, you can completely transform your lawn or garden using their creative & professional features.
Mulching blades also come with the low, medium, and high lifting blades for small and large grass bagging.
Mounts refer to the center hole provided with mower blades. It is a significant feature when you have opted to buy or replace your mower blades.
You can find many types of holes in the blades, dependent on the specific purpose of connection with spindles of varied shapes. Point star shape also has few varieties like – 5-point star, 6-point star, and so on.
How to Change Lawn Mower Blade?
Some of the time, it won’t be easy for you to judge whether it is a time of blade replacements or not! And if you too are wondering, just observe the few things like:
- If you find any bends, dents or nicks, this is the time to replace your old blades.
- If you get grass tips ragged, uneven, or torn, you can opt for replacement.
- You can timely check your blade thoroughly, like sand, dirt ad other debris that can erode the blades. If you find any such clues or find the edges paper-thin, you can replace your lades.
You Can Replace Your Mower Blades Following these Simple Steps:
- It always the best thought to refer your manual and the ways described there for replacing the blades.
- Be alert to remove the spark plug before you start the replacement process.
- It is recommended to replace the blades when fuel is less or empty in the tank. This will make mower lighter, and also there are fewer chances of splitting over the sensitive parts of the mower.
- Always make sure not to split any oil into the carburetor, so always position your mower in the safe angle while replacing.
- You can use a ramp, lift, or jack while doing replacements in the riding lawn mower.
- Always use the socket wrench to hold the blade while loosening the bolt. It will be best if you notice the position of the previous blade which you are replacing.
- Position all nuts and washers in the correct position and tighten the bolts as per the manual’s given specifications; otherwise, the mower will have extra vibrations.
- Before operations, wait for at least thirty minutes to get oil, or other things get in place.
- Always check the fluids and air filter, and proceed with filling the gas tank and attach spark plug.
- Before starting the main mowing operation, just check the little area and analyze whether everything is working correctly or not.
You should follow these steps for safe and proper installations of your mower blades.
How to Sharpen Lawn Mower Blade?
It is always advisable to sharpen your lawnmower blades at least once in a year. Most homeowners feel it unnecessary, as they are happy to work with the dull blades. Here we have provided few methods to sharpen your lawn mower blades easily:
Clamp & Fire
A flat file can be used to sharpen the blades. Apply some pressure to the file, and run it perpendicular to the edge of the mower blades. This will grind the imperfections & hone the shape of the blade.
Once you have done the one side of the blade, repeat it with the other side. This is a slow process, but effective!
Use a Bench Grinder
It is the fastest method to sharpen the lawn mower blades. Be precautions and use eye-wear, earplugs, and gloves. Continue to grind the edge of the mower blades against the moving wheel.
The process is loud with lots of sparks, but finally, you get the sharpened blade. You can also repair the heavily damaged blade using the bench grinder technique.
Use of Drill & Blade Sharpening Tool
This is almost the same as bench grinding process, but takes little more time. But faster than the hand grinding and the stone of the bit is designed to hug the edge of the blades. That will make it easier to sharpen your lawn mower blades.
How to Clean the Lawn Mower Blade?
It does not matter how frequently you mow, but you should not forget to clean your lawnmower blade at regular intervals. If you keep your blades clean and sharp, it will reduce the chances of malfunctioning of the lawnmower.
By cleaning blades, you can keep your lawnmower in a healthy and smooth working condition. Here are few ways to clean your lawnmower blades:
Lawn mower will face hose-down after every mowing operation. So after every use, turn the mower off or unplug it and spray the blades with strong water streams. You can also use a pressure washer in this case.
This will remove all the debris and grass out of the crevices and off the blades. You can also wash the blades finally with your hands, and make sure that there is no mark of debris and dirt over blades.
It is always good to clean your blades for the next operation. Uninstall the blades and use a steel brush to remove debris, dust, and dirt. You can also use this time to sharpen your blades. The dull mower blade will tend to rip the grass instead of ripping it cleanly.
You can also use cooking spray to clean off grass and dirt from your mower blades in less time. Before use, you can put a fine layer of a cooking layer on your mower blades, and this will make sure that less amount of dirt and grass stick to the blades.
Who Makes the Best Lawn Mower Blades
Now you have got the complete insight of the best mower blades and, at the same time, the various additional things related to blades.
But when it comes to select the best lawn mower blades, MaxPower 561739B 2-Blade Set is the obvious choice as it replaces the majority of the MaxPower Brand blades, which includes some other brands.
These blades have well opted for large and residential lawn maintenance operations. Set of two blades for 46″ cut is apt for Craftsman, Poulan and Husqvarna Brands. These blades are produced & manufactured in the USA and distributed and shipped all over the country.
The best part is that these blades are budget-friendly and comes with high-quality metal finish. MaxPower is a leader in the field of manufacturing lawnmower blades.
- Which side of the lawnmower blade is up?
It is always appreciable to have the proper installations of the blades. The lawnmower blades are designed to cut at both ends, so installing the blades upside down is advisable. For this, you can observe the wording on blades like – Towards Grass, or This Side Up on the blade.
Mower blades have two cutting edges; you should point back the dull and bend edge towards the deck, and the opposite is the cutting edge with a sharpened point.
- How to change blades on riding mower without removing a deck?
There is a way to turn a riding mower blade off, most appropriately turn to the left. Most of the blades’ brands walk behind mowers rotate to the right. That is the clockwise direction when you are mowing. So, to remove the blades, you must turn the blade’s bolt to the left or counterclockwise.
- How long will the lawnmower blades last?
To answer it simply, it depends on the type of mower you are using. Motorized mower blades last for almost 20-25 hours, till they get the sharpening treatment. The overall lifetime of mower blades is about 150-200 hours of mowing. The premium quality blades even last for 400 hours of mowing.
- How sharp should be my lawnmower blade?
Every lawnmower blade is meant to puck out the grass, that does not mean it should be razor-sharp, because razor-sharp blades will miss the grass and just and just have more chances of chipping. The blade’s sharpness is preferably to chop and trim the grass and give them the appropriate texture and shape.
The blades will cut sharper edges will also get dull faster and requires regular sharpening. The appropriate sharpness should be you can touch the blades without getting cut.
- Why my lawn grass is missing the mower blades?
The most appropriate reason can be because of the dull edges of your mower blades. But there can be some more reasons for these, and those are not as common as dull blade edges. Some of them can be the bag clippings or discharge, chopping into a fine mulch, or leaving them on the lawn.
Every homeowner wants to keep his lawn or yard well maintained and in shape. Thanks to the mower’s blade that solves this purpose, but at the same time, it is important to select the right mower blade for your specific requirements. Our list of best mower blades will help you out with this!
You can also maintain and replace your mower’s blade properly with the guidelines given above. Now, you can easily maintain the look of your garden, yard, or lawn and feel proud to be the owner of the best lawn mower blades.
- Best Dump Cart for Lawn Tractor Reviews in 2022
- Best Corded Electric Lawn Mower Reviews 2022 [Expert Picks]
- Best Riding Lawn Mower For Hills Reviews- The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Fertilizer Spreader: The Top 8 Reviews in 2022
- Top 7 Best Tiller for Breaking New Ground Reviews
Hi guys! My name is Don and I have been taking care of many lawns across the country for more than 5 years now. Before I hit the road myself, I worked at a lawn care service company where I mastered handling different lawn tools as well. Now, don’t fall back right away even if you are not a lawn guru or a pro. I will be right here – at your service 24/7 to teach you everything about lawn care. Stay tuned for the updates if your goal is to enjoy luscious, deep green grass in your backyard almost all year round. Oh, you can find me on Twitter as well! Happy reading!