In order to maintain a great lawn, you must trim your lawn from time to time, apply fertilizer to promote healthy growth and amend your lawns soil from time to time. In order to do this, you need the right tools for the job. The best lawn spreader would be such an ideal tool.
It would make the application of seeds when planting your lawn, lime when amending the lawn’s soil, and fertilizer when boosting the lawn’s nutritional content a very easy job.
In other rare occasions, you can also make use of the best fertilizer spreader when you are applying sand for your lawn’s/ turf’s reseeding process. The truth is, using this tool is really vital. However, many people don’t quite understand how to choose the right lawn spreader for their personal use.
In this post, we are going to walk you through a simple but effective process through which you can choose a great spreader which will not only serve you well but also last for a very long time too.
Additionally, we will give you a number of the top spreader reviews that we sampled for you. Our reviews were sampled from over 50 spreaders. We focused mainly on the design of the spreader, user reviews and feedback, bestselling brands, efficiency, and more importantly basic factors such as pricing, and longevity.
Let’s hit the road!
- 1 Comparison Table of Best Fertilizer Spreader
- 2 Quick List of Top Fertilizer Spreader
- 3 Top 8 Best Fertilizer Spreader
- 3.1 01. Scotts Turf Builder Pro EdgeGuard Deluxe Broadcast Spreader
- 3.2 02. Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
- 3.3 03. Scotts Elite Spreader
- 3.4 04. Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
- 3.5 05. Agri-Fab Broadcast Spreader Tow
- 3.6 06. Chapin International 8620B – Best Tow Behind Spreader
- 3.7 07. Scotts Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader
- 3.8 08. Craftsman CMXGZBF7124571 110-lb Tow Broadcast Spreader
- 4 What You Should Know Before Buying The Best Lawn Spreader
- 4.1 Type of Spreader
- 4.2 Size of the Lawn
- 4.3 User Feedback/ Review
- 4.4 Product Warranties
- 4.5 The Buying Cost
- 4.6 Mode of Operation
- 4.7 Capacity of Spreader
- 4.8 Spread Technology
- 4.9 FAQs: Best Lawn Fertilizer Spreader
- 4.9.1 1. What is the Push-Powered Spreader?
- 4.9.2 2. Why Can’t I have a Uniform Spread with My Spreader?
- 4.9.3 3. My Spreader Releases Very Few Seeds. Why is that so?
- 4.9.4 4. Apart from Fertilizer Application, How Can I Use My Spreader?
- 4.9.5 5. How Else Can We Classify Spreaders?
- 4.9.6 6. What Should I Do to Ensure My Spreader Operates Well?
- 4.9.7 7. When Should I Use my Spreader?
- 4.9.8 8. What is the Main Difference Between a Broadcast and Brinly Spreader?
- 4.10 Conclusion
Comparison Table of Best Fertilizer Spreader
Quick List of Top Fertilizer Spreader
- Scotts Turf Builder Pro EdgeGuard Deluxe Broadcast Spreader
- Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
- Scotts Elite Spreader
- Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
- Agri-Fab Broadcast Spreader Tow
- Chapin International 8620B 150 lb Tow Behind Spreader
- Scotts Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader
- Craftsman Tow Broadcast Spreader
Top 8 Best Fertilizer Spreader
- Use the Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast Spreader to apply Scotts lawn care products
- Comes pre-calibrated and ready-to-use
- Scotts exclusive EdgeGuard Technology keeps lawn product off landscaping, driveways, and sidewalks
- Features redesigned hopper and agitator for smoother product funneling and consistent coverage
- Holds up to 15,000 sq. ft. of product, including grass seed and fertilizer
The Scotts Turf Builder Pro EdgeGuard Deluxe Broadcast Spreader is a modern design and pretty ideal for your lawn. You will love it!
It features the patented Edge-Guard Technology from Scotts. This is a great technology that helps your spreader to block your spreader from spilling the seeds or fertilizer to the areas that have no lawn.
It also has a controlled and easy to set up precision rate setup design that allows you to deliver more accurate measurement and spread. This is unlike many other manual spreaders that you find today.
The best part about this spreader is this. It is easy to handle and you can actually use it without any help. It has a solid design that gives it a sturdy touch and larger wheels for easier push and walking.
The spreader will make your work simple by holding up to 15000sq. ft. of lawn products in one go. You will easily have a more accurate coverage while using the precision settings on the control panel.
And above all that, the spreader also comes with a handheld design on the sides that allows you to give the best treat to smaller areas under 5000 sq. ft. Talk about hitting to birds with one stone!
Well, here is a spreader that gives you a uniform coverage on your lawn whenever you choose to use any controlled products.
- Easy to Use
- Edge-Guard Technology
- Walk Behind Design
- Large Capacity
- No capacity to strip the lawn
- Battery-powered spreader you can use year round—designed to spread grass seed, lawn fertilizer and weed control products
- Designed to cover up to 2, 500 sq. ft. using Scotts lawn care product
- 5-foot broadcast with control of EdgeGuard Technology
- Our most advanced spreader yet, powered by 4 AA batteries with 23 settings for unbeatable accuracy
- Perfect for lawn seed, fertilizer and weed control products
Scotts is a household name when it comes to spreaders and many other farm machines, and the Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader is just another top-level spreader with a handheld design from this great brand.
It features the patented Handy Lock Technology. This mechanism allows you to easily control the Wizz and also work in larger areas faster without much fatigue.
In addition to this, the Wizz also has the Edge Guard Technology. This is an exclusive technology to the Scotts brand that gives you a uniform spread for any type of controlled products including lime, sand, fertilizer, and lawn seeds that you use.
Unlike the spreader above, this spreader is operated by holding it in the hand. You don’t push it around. This means you will wear off with time. That’s why it is designed for smaller areas of use.
The Wizz is designed for areas/ lawns of about 2500sq. ft. and below. Nonetheless, it is an all-powerful spreader that will still give you great results when you choose to go with it any day any time.
The Wizz is battery powered; meaning, you can use it around any easily. It is highly portable and very much easy to move around with as it is held in the hand.
So meet the Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader; the next-gen battery-powered spreader that will make your spreading work seem so easy.
- Battery Powered
- Easy to replace 4AA batteries
- Controlled Edge Guard Technology
- Handy Lock Technology
- Smaller Area (Under 2500 sq. ft.)
- Dual rotor technology provides unbeatable accuracy and a 6ft spread pattern for time savings. This is our most accurate spreader ever!
- Holds up to 20,000 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn product, including grass seed, fertilizer, salt and ice melt
- Never-flat tires to conquer any terrain
- Ergonomic handle with smartphone holder
- Minor assembly required - Remove agitator pins when spreading coarse rock salt
For the extra-large lawn, there is never any need to worry. The Scotts Pro EdgeGuard Broadcast Spreader is the ultimate design for such lawns of above 18000sq. ft. It is awesome and pretty easy to work with and best for larger garden.
It also features the patented Edge-Guard Technology from Scotts. This is a great mechanism that helps your broadcast fertilizer spreader to control wasteful spillage of seeds or fertilizer to the areas that have no lawn such as pavements.
It also has a controlled and easy to set up precision rate setup design that allows you to deliver more accurate measurement and spread. This is unlike many other manual spreaders that you find today.
Additionally, the Scotts Pro EdgeGuard Broadcast Spreader also has a precise calibration that comes when ready to use. It operates as a walk behind spreader that makes it a really easy feat to go with.
The spreader works with over 15000sq. ft. of lawn products lay and also has a handheld spreader included for areas below 2500sq.ft.
More importantly, the spreader features large sized pneumatic wheels that make maneuverability and easy job. You can use it is bumpy areas and also areas with the tightest curves.
With this spreader, any controlled products become an easy set to work with. And even better there is no assembly required once you purchase this product!
- Over 18000 sq. ft
- Larger pneumatic wheels
- Readily set user panel
- Walk behind design
- Ready calibration on buying
- Not ideal for smaller lawns
- 130 pound hopper capacity saves time refilling on larger acreage lawns"
- Durable rod linked on-off control with precise settings". Maneuverable
- Enclosed gear box with tapered gears for even spreading and long life"
- Large diameter tires with wide wheelbase for stability on rougher terrain"
- Optional hopper cover, material deflector and hopper grate available"
The Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader like the name suggests operates when towed behind a truck. It is a brinly spreader for the best lawns and comes with so many features to die for.
It has a 130-pound lawn hopper capacity. This is a great design high capacity hopper that will save you so much time especially when working on larger areas. You don’t have to refill many times. In one go, you could easily cover over 20000sq. ft.
Even better, the spreader works so efficiently. Thanks to the durable rod link that comes with high style precision settings for the right measurements and quick refill plan whenever necessary.
However, the spreader has no edge guard. Nonetheless, it has another great technology – an enclosed gearbox – this comes with tapered gears in order to provide you with an even spread of controlled products.
The durability is un-doubtable and spreader will work so well to exceed its lifespan. You will also enjoy tires with larger diameters and a wide wheelbase for the best stability in case you are working on bumpy terrains. So you don’t have to worry about rough terrain.
Don’t be left behind. Grab this spreader and enjoy a good hopper cover, hopper grate, and the best material deflector for a great work along with your home lawn any day.
It is easy to learn and simple to use!
- 130-pound capacity
- Tow behind design
- Saves refilling time
- Enclosed gearbox
- Hopper cover and grate
- No edge guard design
- Capacity: 85 lbs. ; 1/4 Acre (14, 000 sq. Ft. ). Pallet Quantity: 36
- Spread width: up to 10Ft. Spread
- Wheels: 10" Pneumatic tires
- Assembly: some assembly required; a video instruction Guide is available to assist with the assembly process
- Construction: Strong Steel frame; poly hopper, spreader plate and enclosed gearbox
- Operations: cable flow control
- Optional accessories: hopper cover(69711), grate(69128) and deflector kit(69115)
- Power Source Type: Pull Behind Tractor
Unlike the one we have seen, the Agri-Fab Broadcast Spreader Tow has an improved design that makes it quite unique and extremely ideal for use in lawns that have large acreage to cover in a limited timeline.
It has a re-designed assembly on its control cable that improves its coverage and makes it more efficient for larger areas.
The frame is also improved to maximize the precision setting making the Agri-Fab Broadcast Spreader Tow an easy spreader to assemble and behind your truck or tractor.
Once you buy the spreader you will also enjoy a rustproof hopper design and also get the same of the spreader plate. This easily extends the life of the spreader and makes the spreader a good equipment to spend your money on.
The spreaders capacity is slightly above 80 pounds. It has large spread width that extends to about 10 ft. for a fast and reliable coverage. This should save time and ensure that your work moves really fast.
And even better, the spreader has large pneumatic wheels that reduce tension or rough surfaces and makes your work and ride smooth irrespective of the amount of area that you are working on.
The hitch also comes with a universal design which makes it easy to hook up to any tractor or truck irrespective of brand.
One more time, it’s time to enjoy a durable spreader design with an enclosed gearbox for all round uses.
- Universal hitch
- 10 ft. widespread for maximum coverage
- Rustproof hopper design
- Must be towed
- 150 pound capacity Tow behind spreader
- Auto-stop dual impeller stops spreading when not in motion
- Oil impregnated Bronze bearings minimize friction on axle and gear box
- Easy-to-set gate adjustment with 11 incremental settings for accurate application
- Wide tread 14” pneumatic tires; Pallet Quantity: 8
- Gearbox with oil impregnated Bronze bearings and grease fitting
- Heavy duty trailer hitch designed for professional use
- Made in the USA
The Chapin International 8620B 150lb Spreader is another perfect tow behind spreader. It is super ideal for garden seeding, fertilizer application, and salt spreading among many other farm operations.
It has an Even Spread technology that gives it a superior spread of any controlled products that you will use it with. More specifically the technology comes with a three-hole drop system that makes it much more precise and minimizes wastage by over 90%.
The best thing about this spreader is this. It has a large capacity (150 pounds) that gives it a super ideal edge when it comes to spreading fertilizer and other controlled products over large areas.
More importantly, the spreader plate and the entire poly construction is made of rustproof materials which gives the spreader high level of durability.
In addition to the rust-proof design, the spreader is also made of heavy duty frame and hardened plastic that gives it an added longevity.
With the right size of lawn, using this large capacity hopper spreader would be easy as the spreader is also designed with 14” easy rolling pneumatic wheels that give it a smooth ride and faster maneuverability.
Use a hand mounted controller to have an easy time with this spreader and get a varied distribution rate.
- Even Spread Technology
- 3 hole drop system
- 14” huge pneumatic wheels
- Heavy duty frame and hardened plastic
- Hand mounted controller
- May need many refills along the way
- Perfect handheld spreader for small yards
- Great for year-round use to weed, seed, fertilize, and apply ice melt
- Engineered for smooth, even coverage
- Adjustable arm support helps provide maximum comfort
- Holds up to 1,500 sq ft of Scotts lawn products
For the best handheld spreader designs, Scotts still takes the lead. With its Scotts Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader, this brand once again manifests some of the best spreader designs for smaller areas but with extremely awesome efficiency.
The Scotts Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader is great for very small yards. It is super small and is only recommended for any yard below 1000sq. ft.
Because of its polymer design, this spreader has a superior rustproof touch that gives it a superior longevity and an edge when it comes to durability and style.
More importantly, you won’t have to do anything on buying this spreader. Scotts Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader comes when readily assembled and all you need to do is tear the pack and load your spreader for work.
You can use this spreader for ice melt, granular products, applying lawn fertilizer, and more important as your best seed spreader.
Scotts Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader is easy to move around with because it is light in weight. It is also operated by lifting it above the ground and keeping it held within your palm.
However, the spreader might leave you exhausted if you must use it for long. But if you want more precision when applying your fertilizer, using this spreader would be the best option to go with.
- Light in weight and easy to carry around
- Durable with non-corrosive design and material
- Stylish with very attractive colors to choose from
- Small capacity (for smaller lawns)
- Up to 10 ft. Spread width in broadcast pattern
- 10 in. Large pneumatic tires allow for smooth transport
- 110 lb. Hopper capacity covers approximately 1/3 Acre (17, 500 sq. Ft.)
- Assembled dimensions: 43 in. L x 26 in. W x 38 in. H
- Rustproof poly hopper and spreader plate increase product life
- Heavy-duty Steel gear for increased product life
- Universal Hitch attaches easily and quickly to all Tractors
Finally in our list of the best fertilizer spreader reviews is the Craftsman Tow Broadcast Lawn & Garden Spreader; a simple and easy to operate spreader with ideal cutting edge technology. It is a smarter buy that makes your work around the farm really easy.
This spreader will ensure that your work when applying any controlled granular products becomes really easy. Also applying granular weed killer with this product.
It has a three-hole spread system that makes it less wasteful and much more geared toward high-level efficiency.
The spreader also enjoys a 110-pound capacity which is really ideal for any user who wants to cover medium and small lawns in no time.
Even better, when spreading your fertilizer, lime, seeds, or sand you will enjoy a smooth ride as the Craftsman Tow Broadcast Spreader has two large 10” pneumatic wheels that absorb shock and provide a smooth ride.
The spreader’s chassis is coated with Epoxy to give it a non-corrosive edge and a rustproof design that makes it highly durable and eventually gives you enough value for your money.
Its rustproof poly rims are also durable and add to the value of the spreader’s poly design and construction.
Buying this spreader is the best tip that makes your work on the farm a really easy one to roll out with.
- Epoxy coated Chassis for longevity
- Non-Corrosive Poly construction
- Easy to use (push spreader)
- Adjustable hand controller for easy movement
- Wheels need replacements after they wear out
What You Should Know Before Buying The Best Lawn Spreader
However, before you get to buy your best commercial fertilizer spreader, there are a number of things that you should know. Read along to find out what they are:-
Type of Spreader
We have two main types of spreaders for your lawn. They are the Drop Spreader and Broadcast Spreader. Before buying your spreader you must know which spreader type best suits your needs.
Drop spreaders are designed to spread seed evenly within the width of the hopper. Broadcast spreader on the other hand simply scatters the seeds over a larger area of the lawn. They don’t strip your lawn on a straight line.
Size of the Lawn
A larger lawn needs a broadcaster. A smaller lawn needs a drop spreader. The reason is simple. Drop spreaders will easily strip your lawn. But because you need to finish up a larger area without getting too exhausted a spreader which scatters seeds around a larger area with one whirl would be ideal.
User Feedback/ Review
It is also very important that you check on what the previous users say about the spreader that you are going for. The best fertilizer spreader reviews will show you the pros and cons of your spreader. They will give you a firsthand experience on how to choose the best spreader, which brand to go for, and what to expect with the said brand/ model.
You should also make sure that you get a warranty if possible. Good products will often give you a guarantee that adds more trust. Warranties are good at cutting costs and preventing loses in case your spreader breaks down.
The Buying Cost
You need to spend within your capacity. A good spreader should meet your budget. It should be affordable. When you buy it you should have a set budget to operate with. This will save you from buying in impulse. Many people buy in impulse and that’s why they spend more on spreaders.
Mode of Operation
Apart from spreading your seeds evenly or scattering them, you need to understand how your spreader operates. Is it a push back? Does it work through hand cranking? Do you need to tow it? Usually, when you have identified the mode of operation you will easily understand how to work with the spreader.
Capacity of Spreader
Apart from the size of your lawn, you’ll need to know the capacity of your spreader. Anything that can hold above 80 pounds is often ideal for large, medium, and small lawns. But the same cannot be said of a smaller spreader. Make sure you read fertilizer spreader reviews to get the best capacity for your needs before buying.
The type of technology that your spreader will use is equally important. Spreaders that apply the right technologies and mechanisms which prevent any forms of wastage for controlled products will be very ideal.
Some of the best technologies include Even Spread, EdgeGuard, Handy Lock Technologies among many other options that you could get. They often make your work easy, timely, and faster from all sides.
FAQs: Best Lawn Fertilizer Spreader
In our research, it occurred to us that a number of people have concerns about spreaders that they want to be addressed. We sampled up a number and left you with the best answers. Check out what we have.
Good luck with your lawn and remember to share our expert fertilizer spreader reviews with your loved ones: to learn more about other ideal farm tools and how best to make good use of each and every one of them.
1. What is the Push-Powered Spreader?
This is another name that the basic drop spreader is known for. This is because they are smaller in design and are often pushed around rather than powered around.
2. Why Can’t I have a Uniform Spread with My Spreader?
If you have a large area to spread you must be using a broadcast spreader. Such a spreader won’t strip your lawn because it uses a whirling impeller under its hopper which catches and throws the seeds, fertilizer, lime, or sand.
3. My Spreader Releases Very Few Seeds. Why is that so?
Every spreader comes with a mounted gauge on the handle. This gauge allows you to set the size of the hopper holes accurately and as you want them to be. However, some seeds are larger and the size of granular may also play a key factor.
When buying the best spreader model, it is important to choose a model that will give you the most efficient adjustable spread rate setup too.
4. Apart from Fertilizer Application, How Can I Use My Spreader?
You can use your best commercial fertilizer spreader to spread line, when amending the lawn’s topsoil using sand, and when planting your grass seeds among other things. However, it is also very important that you use the manufacturer’s manual.
5. How Else Can We Classify Spreaders?
Apart from broadcast and drop spreaders are classified on how they are operated. We have spreaders that are handheld and which are small and often operate through hand cranking and larger spreaders which you will either “walk-behind” or tow behind tractors.
6. What Should I Do to Ensure My Spreader Operates Well?
There are a number of things that you can do but more importantly, make sure that you read through your user manual. Next, look for any special application that is included in the information and finally use your user manual to identify your correct spreader settings. This should give you easy work!
Additionally, you should use your spreader for the right use (appropriately), fix it when broken, and often perform a routine check.
7. When Should I Use my Spreader?
There is no specific time that anyone should use a spreader except you should make sure that you use it for the right purposes such as an application of lime, amending the lawn’s soil, applying fertilizer, and reseeding the lawn. These are often the basic uses of the spreader.
8. What is the Main Difference Between a Broadcast and Brinly Spreader?
Unlike broadcast, the brinly spreader will strip your lawn. It will give you a uniform spread that makes your work for smaller lawns easy to go with. Broadcasters on the other hand, scatter the seeds and that’s why they are ideal for larger lawns.
Now you’ve got all the tips and tricks. We hope choosing your next best broadcast spreader will be a no-brainer. Just remember your spreader should fit your needs and budget. The best designs should also give you the best jobs and leave you with an easy way to learn their ideal mode of operation.
Using the best spreaders should always revolve around having an easy time when working with your spreader, learning your user manual fast, and being able to set up your spreader in no time. Whether the spreader is pushed or locked behind simply make sure that it gives you the best results.
Again, the next time you are choosing your best spreader for your home lawn, it is important to know the size of your lawn so that you get the right design and mode of operation. Unlike drop, broadcast modes will work best for larger lawns that require more work. This is the ultimate difference between the two.